WATERFALL ENABLING WORKS
Abergeldie was engaged by Transport for NSW (TfNSW) to deliver the Waterfall Enabling Works project. This project has delivered critical rail infrastructure works at Waterfall in preparation for major construction as part of the More Trains, More Services program. The enabling work project includes construction of boundary retaining walls, detailed services searches and relocation of affected services along the rail corridor. The work commenced in February 2020 and was completed in September 2020.
Scope of Works
- Site establishment;
- Clearing and grubbing works;
- Construction of combined services route for existing and new services;
- Relocation of existing water services;
- Temporary reinforced embankment to enable main piling works;
- Construction of two semi-contiguous retaining walls RW1 and RW2, including piling works, capping beam and rigid traffic barriers;
- Earthworks and associated civil works including stormwater drainage;
- Vehicle and pedestrian management for safe passage to and from the site from Princes Highway; and
- Improvement and asphalting of access road.
The narrow worksite extends around a kilometre in close proximity to Princes Highway on one side and rail corridor on the other with limited access requiring detailed construction activities and sequencing. 413 piles in total at 750mm diameter and between 7 and 11 metres in length have been installed which form the foundation for 497 metres of retaining walls. To achieve this, over 10,000 tonnes of recycled material was imported to construct a reinforced embankment for the piling pad which will be removed from site and reused at other local worksites. The rigorous design of the retaining walls has been completed to achieve a minimum 120 years upon completion.
More Trains, More Services
Over the next ten (10) years the More Trains, New Services program will simplify and modernise the rail network across Sydney providing increased capacity .The work at Waterfall, which is expected to complete in 2021, will deliver significant improvements to T4 Illawarra, T8 Airport and South Coast lines catering for Sydney’s increased public transport service demand.
Abergeldie has enjoyed productive and collaborative partnership with TfNSW and was able to deliver the project on time and within budget. With the community in mind, the team is pleased to be part of an initiative that will help to provide increased services and capacity for south coast commuters in the future.
Transport for NSW