Construction of two access portals through the abutments of the State Heritage listed Lennox Bridge over the Parramatta River is now complete. Signage and displays within the portals tell some of the history of the original early 19th Century structure. Before the project, the bridge was known to have two distinct sections; one built 1839 and the other (which widened the bridge) built in 1935. During construction of the portals, archaeological excavation works revealed the presence of a third wall beneath the Church Street road surface, a remnant of the old ‘Gaol Bridge’ that crossed the river before the Lennox Bridge was constructed on the same site. Artefacts, including a pier from the old ‘Gaol Bridge’, were researched and conserved by qualified archaeologists during construction works. Research confirmed that the old ‘Gaol Bridge’ dates from 1802-1806 making it the oldest in Australia.
- Civil Contractors Federation (CCF), National Category 3, 2016 Winner
- CCF, NSW Category 3 Winner, 2016 Winner
- CCF, WHS Project of Distinction, 2016 Winner
- Banksia Awards, ‘Mindful Movement’ 2016 Finalist
Parramatta City Council